Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Parenthood:Part 3-Falling


So my eight month old daughter has started pulling herself on to coffee tables, couches and really anything that will allow her to stand up.  The first time she did it, I was so proud of her, but the past few weeks have been unnerving.  She has the ability to pull herself up, but starts to lose it when she tries to walk.  She has fallen down time after time.  Some instances include a banging of her head, while other times she simply falls safely on her butt.  Every time I see her start wobbling, I get nervous.  I want her to learn to do it on her own, but I also don’t want her to fall down and hurt herself.  It’s the fine line that all parents deal with.

I’m sure that God looks at us the same way.  He sees us try something we’re not ready for.  We may fall and hurt ourselves or we may just simply stumble and learn from our mistakes.

One of my favorite movies quotes is from Batman Begins.  After young Bruce falls in a pit, his father comes to get him and asks him, “Why do we fall?  So we can learn to pick ourselves us.”  My daughter is currently learning how to walk alongside a coffee table.  When she falls, she starts crying and I am always right there to pick her up and tell her that everything’s OK.  When she settles down, I put her back to work at learning to walk.  I don’t allow her to “walk away” from her goals.  I watch her and encourage her, lending a hand when needed and giving praise when she gets it.

God does the same thing for us.  He’s there to pick us up and comfort us when we fall.  He wants what’s best for us.  He loves us and encourages us.  If he didn’t, he wouldn’t have come to earth to die for us.  It’s through his death that we have life, and that his grace covers our failures. 

No comments:

Post a Comment