Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Missing Christmas


Like many of you, my month of December was crazy.  We have so many things going on around our church, that it’s tough to keep up, especially when you are under-staffed as we are.  When you throw in all of the children’s pageants and extra services and events, it’s hard to believe that Christmas is actually over. 

There’s something about working in the ministry…I never really get to “enjoy” the holidays.  I spend more nights at work and less time with my family due to added practices.  The free time that I do have is spent thinking about how I’m going to accomplish all of the other goals that have to get done (shopping, decorating, etc.)

The past few days, I have finally been able to relax.  Now, it’s January 9th.  It seems I missed Christmas.

 I have been listening to Christmas music since September, not because I wanted to, but because I had to find the right songs for our services.  By December 15th, I couldn’t hear a Christmas song without changing the station.  I had been hearing it for so long.  I was just done.

There has been one year in the last fifteen that I haven’t had some sort of major responsibility at church during the holidays.  It was last year, when I was unemployed.

I remember how relaxed I was.  How I really didn’t know what to do with myself and all the free time that I had.  I was able to go see Christmas decorations and appreciate the music of the season.  I wasn’t in a hurry to get anywhere, cause I really had no place to be.

This year, it was back to my usual busy season. 

I know that I really need to do a better job of saying “no.”  I know that I need to do a better job of enjoying the season.  I know that I need to do a better job of spending time with my family.

Maybe next year…

No comments:

Post a Comment