Thursday, December 8, 2011

Catching Up

I have had a lot of free time on my hands the past few weeks.  I know my wife has enjoyed me being home more.  I've been able to cook dinner, clean the house, do laundry, run errands, etc.  One of the greatest things that I have been able to do is catch up with old friends and students.


Last week, I had lunch with one of my college professors.  We talked about what has gone on in my life these past few months, the highs and lows of ministry, and some lifelong goals.  Talking with him gave me the opportunity to gather some insight an knowledge into my current situation.  I know that I have been asking God for direction, but He has often given it in the form of affirmation from the people that know us best.  Warren is one of those people.

In college, he was my professor and boss, but he has always been a mentor.  When he talks, I listen.  When he asks for my opinion, I give it.  He has always had my best interest at heart and pushes me to be a better person and a better follower of Christ.

In the same way, I had lunch yesterday with a former student.  He's had a rough life and that has made him grow up faster than normal kids.  Because of the hand that he was dealt in life, most people wouldn't blame him if he gave up and started giving into the world around him.  But instead, he's followed the path that he felt that God called him to.  He entered the armed forces and has thrived under the structure that it has given him.  He has found a sense of purpose and belonging.

During my lunch with him, you could tell that he had grown up.  He was already wiser than his peers, but the time that he has spent away has only made him wiser.  It was great to spend some time with him and see the man that God is molding.

These are only two examples of great lunches that I have had in my sabbatical.  It's something I wish I had more time for when I was paid to do ministry.  It's an opportunity that not a lot of us in ministry are afforded.  When you are working 50-55 hours a week writing sermons, writing curriculum, planning events, editing videos, updating websites, making flyers, and all the other "stuff" that is associated with ministry, it's hard to put that aside and actually meet with people.  There is so much behind-the-scenes work that ministry leaders often miss the opportunities to actual meet with people.

In my next ministry position, that will change.  My priority can no longer be the "stuff" but rather the people.  It's much easier said than done, I know.  Church leaders are given expectations.  Some of us are given the expectation that we stay inside the four walls of our church for 40 hours a week.  Jesus never stayed in one place.  Look at the New Testament.  He was constantly roaming around and hanging out with people.  He met people where they were at.  I know that he had to have a few "power lunches" to meet with people and talk.  He was a "people person."  Why aren't we?

No comments:

Post a Comment