Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Channel Surfing


Have you ever found yourself on the couch, channel surfing in your blue snuggie looking for something “mindless” to watch on TV?  I’ve been finding myself in that position more often than not these days.  Nine times out of ten, I usually end up watching some buddy comedy or something with slap-stick nonsense. 

Last night I found myself in this situation.  Surfing through the DirecTV guide, until I landed on something so mindless that I just knew that it was the perfect choice for the evening.  That 2008 Academy Award snub: “Rambo.”  Granted, it was on AMC, so I was unable to get the full effect of what the director was trying to portray, but watching Sly Stallone hunt down some rebels with a bow and arrow sounded like the perfect end to a hard Tuesday.

About 45 minutes into the film, I heard seven words that redefined this movie for me.  It went from a classic “B” movie with all the explosions, poorly written dialogue, and horrendous acting into a movie with a message.  Just as I’m settled into a thoughtless euphoria, Sly mumbles out these profound words: “Live for nothing or die for something.”

That was it!  My night was over!  Are you kidding me!  What a powerful statement! 

My mind was racing for the rest of the night with the thought of this message.  How many of us in this world are “living for nothing?”  Maybe it’s a friend. A co-worker.  A family member.  These people feel like their life is full and complete, but at the end of the day, when they really look in the mirror to examine their hearts, they realize their lives are empty.

I unfortunately know a lot of people like that.  It may be a cheesy Christian cliché, but it really is true: we all have a “God-shaped hole” in our hearts.  We try to fill it with “stuff,” shallow relationships or anything that makes us temporarily happy.  These people are “living for nothing.”

In the end, though, it’s that “die for something” that is the real kicker.  Do you have anything in your life that you are willing to die for?  More importantly, are you willing to die for your faith?

You may not know who Cassie Bernall was, but you may know her story.  Cassie was a junior at Columbine high school in 1999.  On April 20th of that year, two of her classmates stormed the school… armed. The two classmates knew that Cassie was that “Christian kid” in the school and put her faith to the test.  They held a gun to her head and asked her if she believed in God.  She said, “Yes.” They then took her life.  Cassie’s mom wrote a book, She Said Yes, that recounts the events of her daughter’s life and more importantly, the account of that fateful day. 

Cassie’s story lives on and she has stood as an example for the past 13 years as a person who really did “die for something.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment