Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Just Say “No”


For most people, Thanksgiving week tends to kick off the holiday season.  For others, the Christmas “season” started after Labor Day.  Personally, I love Thanksgiving, but it tends to be my last “big breath” before the rush of Christmas starts.  Parties, pageants, and shopping tend to occupy my mind and time.  I think things will only get worse this year with a baby.  This will be the first year that we’re actually doing Christmas cards.

Maybe it’s just me, but I’ve been hearing a common theme this year from a variety of sources (churches, speakers, blogs, etc.).  That theme is, “It’s OK to say, ‘No.’”  I don’t know why, but that has really hit home with me in the past few weeks.  Maybe it’s because I’m working two jobs, am staying at home with my daughter two days a week, and giving guitar lessons on the side.  I’ve been very guilty of running myself ragged and I constantly allow myself to get pulled in 5 different directions.

I know it’s not healthy; for me or my family.  But I’ve managed to “justify” it by saying it’s, “just that season of ministry” or “it will get better.”  NEWS FLASH: it doesn’t!  There will always be something that comes up and next month may be busier than the last.  Things happen.  Things come up.

Last week, I felt God calling me to quit one of my jobs.  It was a part time job that was taking away a lot of time and energy from my other job and family.  It was tough, but I told my boss on Thursday that I wouldn’t be able to continue after the fall semester.  He agreed that it was the best move for me. 

Even though I’m still in the position for another month, I feel like a weight has been lifted off of my shoulders.  That freedom has come with the knowledge that it’s OK to say, “No” sometimes. 

As the busy Christmas season approaches, figure out what’s most important to you and do it.  Remember, it’s OK to say, “No.”  Do what’s best for you and your family.

I said this last year in my “Thankfulness” post: If you don’t take time out, God will force you to take time out.  Psalm 23:2 "He makes me lie down in green pastures..." Take it from me, take the “time out” before God makes you take one.  It’s less painful that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment