Friday, November 25, 2011

The Juggling Act

I am a guy who pours himself into work.  When I worked for Gap, I wanted to be the best cashier there was.  I took pride in my work.  When I was asked to clean up a section, it looked spotless...or just like the book told me it would look.  I took customer service to a new level.  I was all about Gap.

As I have served in ministry full-time, I have done the same thing.  I would go above and beyond what was asked of me.  To fulfill my job description, I could have done a weekly Bible study from a book and one event every month and done "my part."  Instead, I spent 55-60 hours per week writing sermons, creating videos, writing curriculum for two Bible studies, held weekly open gyms, organized mission trips, held multiple events per month and spent countless hours mentoring students.  I poured myself into my job.

That was great...when I was single.  When I got married, that had to change.  My wife is a teacher.  She works during the day and is home at night.  As a Youth Pastor, I am home in the morning and am at work during the afternoon, most evenings and weekends...basically, we're like two ships passing in the night.

Now, we have a baby on the way.  How am I supposed to juggle this as well?


I have been blessed with a very understanding wife, but I know that it has been hard for her at times.  She even volunteers to help out in the Youth Ministry so that we can spend more time together.  But, overall, being in ministry is tough on a relationship.  Where most people work 9-5, my hours sometimes include lock-ins with 50 teenagers and being away for a week at a time on a mission trip.

"I want you to be free from the concerns of this life. An unmarried man can spend his time doing the Lord’s work and thinking how to please him. But a married man has to think about his earthly responsibilities and how to please his wife. His interests are divided." 1 Corinthians 7:32-34a

Paul makes a good point.  I do have two (soon three) very important "interests" in my life.  I may never find the perfect balance, but I know that if I continue to put God first in my life (God, not ministry), that he will help me find it.  And I know that if I am leaning more toward ministry and not my family, my wife will definitely put me in my place!

No comments:

Post a Comment