Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Psalm 23

The other day, a friend of mine mentioned Psalm 23.  I've heard this Psalm hundreds of times but I don't think that I have ever REALLY studied it.  In today's post, I'll dissect it and take a closer look at it.  Maybe we'll see something new together.


"The LORD is my shepherd, I lack nothing."

No matter how bad things have gotten in my life, I have never been without a warm meal.  I have never been wondering how I'm going to keep warm or how I'm going to get clothes.  I have never been without a roof over my head.  I may have wanted a steak instead of Mac and Cheese or nicer clothes or a cooler house, but I have never been without a basic need.  I don't have much, but God has always taken care of me.  He has always provided for me.

"He makes me lie down in green pastures, He leads me beside quiet waters"

I never thought about this line before, but it was really brought to my attention a few weeks ago.  When I am working in full-time ministry, I average 55-60 hours per week.  Ministry is not a 9-5 job Monday through Friday.  It's late nights.  It's weekends.  It's a week away from your family.  A friend of mine told me that my current "release" from ministry may be God's way of "making me lie down."  I never take time off for myself.  I never take time to rest.  I have really tried to rest these past few weeks.  To understand that God is in control.  It's not God's desire for me to be stressed out and burned out.

"He refreshes my soul."

Burned out.  That's what I have been these past 5+ years of ministry.  These last two weeks have given me time to rest in God.  They have given me a new perspective.  They have allowed me the opportunity to rest and relax.  I've played video games, watched TV and movies, cleaned the house, played music, had lunches with old friends.  I am truly being refreshed at this moment.

"He guides me along the right paths for His name’s sake."

God has always provided wise council for me.  Family, friends and old professors have always been there for me to lend an ear or some advice.  God has used these people to help guide me through my life.  

"Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me."
I've been through some pretty dark times in my life, but I've gotten through them.  Bod has gotten me through much tougher times than this, that's how I know that he will provide.  In fact, I have already seen him provide in so many ways.  God's got my back and no matter what.  It's very comforting that the creator of the universe cares about you and will protect you.  It's pretty reassuring.

"You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies."

We all have people in our lives that want to see us fail.  we all have "enemies." But God will show them that no matter what rocks they throw at you, that He will be there to protect you.  No matter what the people of this world do to you, He will guard you against their desires to harm you.

"You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows."

When we are blessed by and trust in God, He will give us all that we need and more.  He will provide you with so many blessings that you won't know what to do.  It may not be a Lexus, but it may be a new car.  It may not be a mansion, but it may be a home.  It may not be a million bucks, but it may be the money that you need to get by.  God has always provided for me in miraculous ways.  

"Surely Your goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever."

When you put your faith in God, life gets a little easier.  Don't get me wrong; it's not all "rainbows and unicorns," but you are able to rest in the assurance that God is in control.  Sure, I lost my job, but I'm not worried.  God will open doors for me.  God has a plan.  Sometimes things in life will hurt: a lost job, a loved one dies or is sick, etc.  I know that God is ruler of the world and that those experiences happen for a reason.  Sometimes they happen to make us stronger.  Sometimes they are to help us appreciate the things that we have.  But no matter what happens, God is in control.

No comments:

Post a Comment