Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Rockstar

A couple of months ago, a friend of mine called me up.  He was on the search committee at his church and they were looking for a new Youth Director.  He was calling to pick my brain on a few things: what should they be looking for, what should some "red flags" be, etc.  We started talking about some of his candidates and I was blown away by what one of them had said.

Shortly after the candidate arrived at the initial interview and exchanged pleasantries, He told the search team, "Look, before we get too far into this...I want you to know something...if you're looking for a 'Rockstar' to come in here and get the congregation riled up, I'm not your guy.  I'm really into mentoring students and giving them something that will last."  I told my friend that he should have hired this guy on the spot!


There are so many churches out there that don't "get" youth ministry.  For the majority, they feel like fun events and lock-ins are the way to get students excited about Jesus but that just gets kids excited about events.  So many churches feel like all they need to do is bring in a 20 something guy or girl to make Jesus look "cool."  That's not it either.  The churches that hire these "rockstars" might see numerical growth in their ministry, but odds are, they won't see too much spiritual growth (for more info on this, read my previous blog on "Real Growth").  If you're a church that's all about events, why not run a YMCA?

I have been accused more than once in my tenure as a church worker that I give kids "too much Jesus."  On average, I would have 2-3 Bible studies a week and spend a majority of my time getting prepared for a weekly service specifically designed for students.  We would still have fun things: a weekly open gym, semi-annual paintball trips, 2-3 "fun" events a month.  But I believe that the lasting spiritual growth is the most important aspect of ministry.


Small groups, Bible studies, weekly services; these are places where real life change happens.  These are the places where students see Jesus.  A lot of parents say that these kinds of elements are boring.  Sure.  They can be.  It depends on how they're structured.  And for some kids, you have to admit that they are not ready for something like that.  Spiritual growth can't be forced, unless God is the one doing the pushing. Let's face it, give a 13 year old boy the option to play video games or go to a Bible study, guess which one they'll choose?  Haha.  Guess which one I would choose?

No, Bible study isn't always the most exciting thing.  But neither are fruits and vegetables.  You need fruits and vegetables in your diet to keep you energized and your body well nourished.  If you only fill your body with candy, sure you'll get a quick rush, but in the end you'll get tired and have a stomach ache.  "Rockstar" Youth Pastors tend to give students more candy than fruits and vegetables.  They tend to give students the things that they want more then the things that they need.  They enjoy being "liked." They don't realize, the best thing you can do is give people what they need more of; and that's Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment