Monday, January 16, 2012

Compliments

I have been playing music in front of people for the better part of 15 years.  I've sung for large groups and small gatherings; weddings and funerals; concerts and worship services.  I like to sing.  It's one of my favorite things to do.  If given the chance, I would sing myself horse.  There's just one thing I'm REALLY uncomfortable with...having someone come up to me and give me a compliment. 

I don't know what it is.  I'll brag about a single that I turned into a double in church-league softball for weeks.  I can still tell you the story of how I held on to the ball as a catcher when a guy plowed into me.  I could brag on myself and my accomplishments all day.  BUT when someone comes up to me after church to comment positively on a song that I sung, I freeze.  I get uncomfortable.  I just say an awkward "Thanks."  I turn into a shy little kid.


Even worse, I may deflect it and say, "Oh, well...uh...I screwed up that line in the third verse." Why would I say that?  The majority of people would never know that.  Now I just made that person feel bad and THEY go away awkward.

It's weird.  I've always been that way.  I know other worship leaders that feel the same way and do the same thing.  It's almost like we don't want to accept the compliment.  Why?  God gave us the gift.  We're just using that gift to glorify Him. 

It's a tough thing for worship leaders to accept a compliment.  Maybe it's because we think that people are complimenting our act of worship.  Those of you that work in an office feel good when someone compliments your PowerPoint presentation or your budget speech.  Why do worship leaders shy away from essentially that same compliment?

It's an odd position to be in and I don't know if I will ever get over it.

Are you a worship leader or musician that struggles with the same thing?  How do you handle it?

1 comment:

  1. I'm horrible at accepting compliments also. People usually say something about my ability playing guitar and I almost always shrug it off and say something like "Oh I'm not really that good". I can honestly say that because I don't really practice all that much, so in my eyes I'm a pretty bad guitar player. In fact, a lot of weekends or rehearsals I'm just winging it. I have been given a gift and I love sharing that gift.

    ReplyDelete