Monday, January 2, 2012

New Year's Revolution

It's the start of a new year.  A time when people make new commitments.  A time when people strive to make changes in their lives.  Some people make a resolution to lose weight.   Others strive to read more books.  Others try to be "better people;" that's pretty relative.


For the most part, we all make some kind of New Years resolution.  In my own life, my specific "resolution" is unclear.  Why?  Because so much of my personal life is a question mark.  Sure I could stand to lose a few pounds.  But say I lose that weight; then what?  Sure I could read more; what do I do with that knowledge?  For me, my resolution is to start my own personal revolution.

No, I'm not gonna occupy wall street or my local "big box" store.  With a new job, a move, and being a new dad, I have many more questions than I have answers.  Beyond February 1, I see nothing but fog...uncertainty...change.  So how can I make a resolution that will survive that?  I'm not going to.  Doing so would only set me up to fail.

This year, my resolution will be to live out the Christian revolution.  I want to strive to be the best example of Christ that I can be to my wife. To my child. To my friends and co workers. To the community that I live in.

I have a lot of goals this year, but the main thing that I want to do is put Christ first.  If I do that, everything else will fall into place.

"My child, never forget the things I have taught you.  Store my commands in your heart.  If you do this, you will live many years, and your life will be satisfying.  Never let loyalty and kindness leave you!  Tie them around your neck as a reminder.  Write them deep within your heart.  Then you will find favor with both God and people, and you will earn a good reputation." Proverbs 3:1-4

Why make a dramatic change in your life that will only last a few weeks?  If you put God first in your life, all those other things will fall into place.  If your "body is the temple of the Holy Spirit (1 Corinthians 6:19-20)," you'll eat better and exercise.  If you want to be a better Christian, you have to "turn from your selfish ways, take up your cross daily, and follow Me (Jesus) (Luke 9:23)."

By putting Christ first, all those other resolutions will happen.  

This year, I hope you'll join me on this quest.  I'll be here trying to live this out.  I'll document every step of the way right here on this blog.  I hope to also start a podcast at some point this year.  

Let's make 2012 the year of the revolution!

No comments:

Post a Comment