Wednesday, January 25, 2012

The Sidelines


I have played sports for the majority of my life.  These days, I mainly play softball.  But when I was in high school and playing basketball and baseball regularly, I HATED sitting on the bench.  Even if I needed the break, I would upset me to sit.  I always wanted to be in the game.  Even now playing softball, I hate DHing and not playing in the field.  Granted, there are days when my knees won't let me play.  But regardless, I still want to be out there.

Those of us that are athletes feel that way.  We always want to be in the game.  Is that the same mentality that we have with our faith though?  How many of us use the excuse that, "Well, I don't have all the answers like a pastor does.  I'll never be an 'expert.'"  Far too often, we as Christians sit on the sidelines.  We leave the "going and making" to the "professionals."  We forget though that when Jesus told us to "go and make disciples (Matt. 28:19)," he was talking to all of us.

You see, when you are a Christian, there is no sitting on the sidelines.  God wants all of us to be active participants.

I remember a few years ago, I was on a mission trip with some students.  As we were driving to our destination, we passed by a park where some little kids were playing soccer.  We watched as the entire roster of both teams go after the ball.  It was just mass chaos.  All of the kids were just following the ball, yearning to kick it.

I decided to use the moment as a teaching tool for the students in the car.  I asked, what they thought about the little children just following after the ball.  One student said, "It's nuts!  It's like there are no rules."  He was right, but another student said something that has stuck with me for a long time.  She said, "They're just so excited to kick the ball.  They just want to be a part of what's going on."

How true.

So many of us as Christians are content with sitting on the sidelines.  We do "our part" by going to church for an hour a week and maybe putting a few bucks in the offering plate.  But what if we treated our faith like those little kids on that soccer field?  What if we were all just so excited to be a part of something?

Are you actively engaged in what God wants you to be or...are you sitting on the sidelines?

No comments:

Post a Comment