Friday, January 13, 2012

Explosion of Awesome!

The other night, I had my first child birth class.  It was VERY interesting.  Amidst my chuckling and joke cracking (yeah, I was THAT guy), I noticed something that I hadn't thought about in years.  The instructor was showing diagrams of what my baby girl will experience in the next few weeks.  As I looked over the the diagrams, I thought, "Wow, it's really remarkable how this whole process works!"

I mean, think about it!  The baby's skull isn't fully solid yet, because it needs the flexibility to pass through the birth canal.  The mild contractions that my wife is currently experiencing is to prepare her for the big day one month from now.  Inside my wife's stomach is everything my kid needs to survive during the entire 9 months she's developing. 

Our bodies are so complex.  We don't have to think about breathing, blinking, or swallowing.   We just do it.  Our brians process images that our eyes see.  Our hands allow us to grip baseballs and type on the computer.  When we're injured, white blood cells head in the direction of the injury or infection and ward off the foreign substance.  Our bodies are amazing marvels! 

When I think about this, it really makes me wonder how people can think that this "just happened."  It's hard to believe that this amazing marvel just happened by chance. 


Think about it this way: it's like an explosion happened in a lab and an iPhone was formed.  Fully functional.  Contacts and apps loaded.  Perfectly assembled.  Ready to go.  Hard to believe right?  But that's what some people believe.  That our bodies are the result of a chance explosion.  Our eyes, ears and nose just "happen" to be at the height of our bodies, where we can see, hear, and smell at the highest point.  Coincidence?  I'm not so sure.


"You made all the delicate, inner parts of my body and knit me together in my mother’s womb.  Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex!  Your workmanship is marvelous—how well I know it.  You watched me as I was being formed in utter seclusion, as I was woven together in the dark of the womb.  You saw me before I was born.  Every day of my life was recorded in your book.  Every moment was laid out before a single day had passed." Psalm 139:13-16

It's hard to believe that an "Explosion of Awesome" could result in an iPhone.  It's even harder to believe that my body was anything other than the result of an intelligent design of a Creator.  Our bodies are truly a work of art.  

No comments:

Post a Comment